Louisiana Legislature Changes Mandated to Clerk Regarding Application for Marriage License
Effective January 1, 2016, Requirements to Obtain a License:
- Both parties must be present in the Clerk's Office at the time of application. If one party cannot be present, that party shall sign the competed application before a notary prior to the other applicant's arrival at the Clerk's Office.
- Certified Copies of birth certificates for both parties are required. Louisiana Birth Certificates may be purchased from the State through the Clerk's Office: Birth Certificate Information
- Social Security Numbers are required.
- One of the following forms of ID is required: a valid and unexpired driver's license, a government issued ID card, a valid and unexpired passport, or an unexpired Visa accompanied by U.S. Form I-94.
- Marriage License Application. PLEASE PRINT ON LEGAL SIZE PAPER, and have it filled out before you come to the Clerk's Office.
- $32 fee for marriage license in cash or credit card, which includes a certified copy of the license for the couple.
- If a certified copy of a Louisiana birth certificate is needed, $24 fee per copy in cash or credit card (fee mandated by state). PLEASE ALLOW EXTRA TIME.
- Armed Forces members need not be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk if the co-applicant attaches a copy of the member's Military ID.
- If one party cannot be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk, the application may be signed before a Notary Public.
- If an applicant does not have a social security number, a valid and unexpired passport from the country of the applicant's birth or an unexpired visa, accompanied by a Form I-94 issued by the U.S. is required.
- If an applicant was born outside of the U.S. and does not have a U.S. certified birth certificate, all of the following must be provided: a certified copy of the person's birth certificate from the place of birth, a translation to English of the birth certificate (if it is not in English), including a sworn declaration of translation, and a valid and unexpired passport or unexpired visa with U.S. issued Form I-94 verifying applicant is lawfully in the country.
- Beginning January 1, 2016, a certified copy of both birth certificates will be required to obtain a marriage license. In most cases, we can provide a copy of a Louisiana birth certificate within 15 minutes, but be aware that as we are dependent on the State Registrar for our copies, it may require additional time.
- The legal age in Louisiana to obtain a marriage license without parental consent is eighteen (18).
- Minors sixteen (16) and seventeen (17) years of age must be accompanied by parents with proper identification. Minors under the age of sixteen (16) must also obtain written authorization to marry from the judge of juvenile court in the parish where the minor lives or the marriage ceremony is to be performed.
- A seventy-two (72) hour waiting period is required between the time of license purchase and the performance of the ceremony. A waiver for this 72 hour waiting period may be obtained from a District Judge.
- License may be used in any parish in the state.
- A Covenant Marriage requires additional premarital counseling and two documents: declaration of intent and affidavit signed by couple, counselor and notary. The forms are here: Covenant Marriage Forms
- Licenses may be purchased from the Clerk of Court's office on weekdays, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. If purchasing a certified copy of a Louisiana birth certificate, please allow extra time.
- The license is valid for thirty (30) days; if not used, it must be returned to the Clerk's Office to be renewed. An additional fee is charged for renewal. If the license is not used, it should be returned to be cancelled off the books. The fee is not refunded.
- Two (2) witnesses are required to sign the marriage license at the time of the ceremony.
- The original marriage license is given to the married couple by the minister and the certificate of marriage is mailed to the Clerk's Office for recording.
- Ministers are required to register with the Clerk of Court according to Act 229 of 1952.
Filing a Covenant Marriage?
Copies of Marriage Licenses
Our Marriage License records go back to 1838
You can now purchase certified copies of marriage license online using our Ecommerce System.
Online copies are $5.00 plus $1.00 per page
The Online Marriage Index application is for use with Internet Explorer only. It will not work correctly with alternate browsers such as Firefox or Netscape. This is an index of names only. To purchase a copy of a license, you will need to use the Ecommerce link above or make a request as shown below.
A certified copy of a marriage license requested from our office is $6.49.
Please send requests along with a check or money order for $6.49 to:
Caddo Parish Clerk of Court
Attention: Marriage Department
501 Texas Street, Room 103
Shreveport, LA 71101
For More Information