Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?

The Caddo Parish Clerk's Office can issue certified Louisiana Birth Certificates. We can also issue Death Certificates registered in Louisiana since July 9, 2012. Please visit our Birth Certificates page for more information.

If you live outside of Louisiana or are unable to visit the Clerk's Office, the State of Louisiana has a partnership with Vitalchek so that copies of Birth Certificates may be ordered online.

For Death Certificates prior to July 9, 2012, the Lousiana Department of Vital Records has Death Certificates for deaths less than 50 years ago. For death certificates over 50 years old, contact the Louisiana State Archives.

How do I get a marriage license?

You must come to the Caddo Parish Clerk's Office to get a marriage license. We are located in Room 103 of the Caddo Parish Courthouse at 501 Texas Street in downtown Shreveport. A marriage license costs $32.00 and must be paid in cash. Please see our Marriage License page for information on requirements and forms you may fill out online.

How do I access your records on the internet?

Marriage Indexes are available online to the public for no charge.

Property Records are also available online through the Louisiana Clerk's Association Portal.

We now offer daily and monthly rates for online access, as well as our standard yearly rate. For more information on accessing all of our records online, please see our Web Inquiry page.

How may I be excused from Jury Duty?

The Caddo Parish Clerk's Office draws jurors for both Civil and Criminal court, but the Caddo Parish Judicial Administrator's Office must be contacted if you wish to be excused from Jury Duty. Their phone number is 318-429-7694 (V) or 318-226-6558 (TDD). You may also email the Jury Coordinator at

How do I become an Election Poll Worker?

You must take a class to become an election poll worker. The pay ranges from $50.00 to $250.00 for each election worked. Visit our Elections-Ballots page for more information.

Can I register to vote online?

You cannot register to vote online, but the Voter Registration form is available online from the Louisiana Secretary of State and can be mailed into your local Registrar of Voter's office. For more information, see the Secretary of State Voter Registration page.

Where is the Caddo Parish Clerk's Office located?

The Clerk's Office is located in downtown Shreveport in Room 103 of the Parish Courthouse at 501 Texas Street. For driving directions, please try Mapblast or Mapquest. For a general map of our location and a picture of the Courthouse, see our Location page.

Where is the Caddo Parish Juvenile Clerk's Office located?

The Juvenile Justice Center is located at 1835 Spring Street in Shreveport, Louisiana. The Clerk's Office is on the second floor.

How do I get a protective order?

Protective orders are filed in the Civil Division of the Caddo Parish Clerk of Court's Office. Please see Protective Orders for more information.

How do I file a Name Change Suit?

The legal process to change your name is to file a law suit versus the District Attorney. Once the District Attorney enacts a background check on the individual and the background checks comes back clear, the District Attorney will file the proper response. Once the response is made, the individual will file a Judgment with the court for an exported signed Judgment. If there is any question, the Judge will set for court. The filing fees are listed on our website at Civil Court Costs.

Important Note about Filing Suits

Clerk's Office employees are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. If you need to file a suit, we highly recommend that you hire a lawyer. If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer, the Shreveport Bar Foundation hosts a free legal advice clinic on the third Monday of each month from 5:30 - 7:30 pm at the Shreveport Bar Center, 625 Texas Street, Shreveport, LA. You can call 318-221-8104 for more information.