The Caddo Parish Clerk's Office issues Marriage Licenses and has marriage records dating back to 1838.

We do not perform marriages in the clerk's office.

Online Marriage License Application

Both parties will need to fill and sign the marriage affidavit in front of a notary or a deputy clerk upon completion of the marriage license application.

Marriage License Copies

Louisiana Legislature Changes Mandated to Clerk Regarding Application for Marriage License

2015 House Bill #836

Act 419 of 2017 revises what is required to obtain a marriage license per Federal Judge Ruling on August 25, 2017

Effective August 1st, 2019, if you are 17 years of age or younger, Senate Bill #172 affects you."

SB 172 Art. 2333

A minor under the age of sixteen may not enter into a matrimonial agreement. A minor sixteen or seventeen years of age may not enter into a matrimonial agreement without judicial authorization and the written concurrence of his father and mother, or of the parent having his legal custody, or of the tutor of his person.

Effective January 1, 2016, Requirements to Obtain a License:

  1. Both parties must be present in the Clerk's Office at the time of application. If one party cannot be present, that party shall sign the completed application before a notary prior to the other applicant's arrival at the Clerk's Office.
  2. Certified Copies of birth certificates for both parties are required. Louisiana Birth Certificates may be purchased from the State through the Clerk's Office: Birth Certificate Information
  3. Social Security Numbers are required.
  4. One of the following forms of ID is required: a valid and unexpired driver's license, a government issued ID card, a valid and unexpired passport, or an unexpired Visa accompanied by U.S. Form I-94.
  5. Online Marriage License Application. Fill it out before you come to the Clerk's Office. PLEASE USE GROOM AS PARTY A AND BRIDE AS PARTY B.
  6. $32 fee for marriage license in cash or credit card, which includes a certified copy of the license for the couple.


  1. Armed Forces members need not be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk if the co-applicant attaches a copy of the member's Military ID.
  2. If one party cannot be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk, the application may be signed before a Notary Public. You will need the marriage affidavit signed and notarized as well.
  3. If an applicant does not have a social security number, a valid and unexpired passport from the country of the applicant's birth or an unexpired visa, accompanied by a Form I-94 issued by the U.S. is required.
  4. If an applicant was born outside of the U.S. and does not have a U.S. certified birth certificate, all of the following must be provided: a certified copy of the person's birth certificate from the place of birth, a translation to English of the birth certificate (if it is not in English), including a sworn declaration of translation, and a valid and unexpired passport or unexpired visa with U.S. issued Form I-94 verifying applicant is lawfully in the country.
  5. If an applicant is unable to provide a birth certificate, letter required by R.S. 9:227, then a Certificate of Naturalization by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Authority may be provided.
  6. If an applicant is unable to provide a social security number, he/she may provide a driver's license, a government issued identification card, a passport, a visa issued by the United States Department of State, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  7. An applicant who is unable to comply with the requirements of this Act may seek judicial authorization for a waiver.

Marriage Information

  • A certified copy of both birth certificates will be required to obtain a marriage license. In most cases, we can provide a copy of a Louisiana birth certificate within 15 minutes, but be aware that as we are dependent on the State Registrar for our copies, it may require additional time.
  • The legal age in Louisiana to obtain a marriage license without parental consent is eighteen (18).
  • Minors sixteen (16) and seventeen (17) years of age must be accompanied by parents with proper identification. Minors under the age of eighteen (18) must also obtain written authorization to marry from the judge of juvenile court in the parish where the minor lives or the marriage ceremony is to be performed. All minors, parents, and prospective spouses MUST meet with the Juvenile Judge.
  • A twenty-four (24) hour waiting period is required between the time of license purchase and the performance of the ceremony per Act 276. A waiver for this 24 hour waiting period may be obtained from a District Judge.
  • License may be used in any parish in the state.
  • A Covenant Marriage requires additional premarital counseling and two documents: declaration of intent and affidavit signed by couple, counselor and notary. The forms are here: Covenant Marriage Forms
  • Licenses may be purchased from the Clerk of Court's office on weekdays, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. If purchasing a certified copy of a Louisiana birth certificate, please allow extra time.
  • The license is valid for thirty (30) days; if not used, it must be returned to the Clerk's Office to be renewed. An additional fee is charged for renewal. If the license is not used, it should be returned to be cancelled off the books. The fee is not refunded.
  • Two (2) witnesses are required to sign the marriage license at the time of the ceremony. Witnesses must be at least 18 years old.
  • The keepsake certificate with the gold seal will remain with the married couple. The official legal paper, the State of Louisiana Certificate of Marriage, is to be returned to the Clerk's Office within ten days of the ceremony to be recorded. A certified copy of the official license will then be mailed to the couple (if not returned in person) for name change and legal purposes.
  • Ministers are required to register with the Clerk of Court according to Act 229 of 1952.

Filing a Covenant Marriage?

Link to Office of the Louisiana Attorney General

papers Covenant Marriage Pamphlet provided by Louisiana Attorney General

papersCovenant Marriage Forms.

Copies of Marriage Licenses

Our Marriage License records go back to 1838

You can now purchase certified copies of marriage license online:

Marriage License Copies

Online Marriage Index

This is an index of names only. To purchase a copy of a license, you will need to use the Ecommerce link above or make a request as shown below.

A certified copy of a marriage license requested from our office is $6.55.

Please send requests along with a check or money order for $6.55 to:

Caddo Parish Clerk of Court
Attention: Marriage Department
501 Texas Street, Room 103
Shreveport, LA 71101

Marriage Links

Online Marriage Copies

Caddo Parish Justices of the Peace

Application for Minister License See (R.S. 9:204)

Office of the Louisiana Attorney General

For More Information
Call 318-226-6789
email Email